www.flickr.com

20050310

Brassica Napus


Brassica Napus
Originally uploaded by teotwawki.
Last night, I clicked on a random blog in the list of updates in the blog directory Blogwise (it was Five Live Links, incidentally) and found a link back to a Flickr Central thread featuring the inimiatble and ubiquitous GustavoG.

This made me wonder exactly how many users Flickr has; the statistics are probably out there somewhere, but I think not knowing, and imagining a number instead, feels more meaningful at than a cold figure - that is, I would be disappointed if the figure seemed very low, and if it were very high I doubt it would seem very significant.

Tangent:

There's an anecdote in a 1919 Freud essay in which he describes wandering through an unfamiliar city. He finds himself in an area he characterises euphemistically, but which is obviously a 'red light' area. Uncomfortable, he follows winding streets away, tries different routes, but keeps ending up back in the same place.

In a wholly more positive way, the number of times I end up back at Flickr by an unpredictable and unexpected route is starting to catch my attention - it's a repetition compulsion.

Last night I noticed my Flickr photostream had received its 1,000th viewing. I thought I'd celebrate this meaningless statistic (how many PEOPLE is that?) in two ways. Firstly, by posting an interminable and barely comprehensible ramble, and secondly by posting two Canon photos in a row.

This photo was originally of a field in Oxfordshire, on a sunny summer's day in 2003. It looked rather routine on first viewing, and with it not being an original or innovative subject, I decided to torture it in Photoshop.

Even though there's now an unnatural feel to the photo, I like it that way. I feel strongly that it's more interesting than it was originally. It's how I want to remember that field looking on that day.

No comments: